IRU partners with WCO to push customs worldwide to coordinate efforts to safeguard international road transport supply chains
IRU and the World Customs Organization (WCO) issued a joint statement calling for coordinated efforts by Customs administrations worldwide, to ensure the continuity of international supply chains and the facilitation of freight movement during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Customs administrations are urged to:
- Coordinate cross-border interventions with other national border agencies and implement the TIR convention
- Use the TIR system and its IT tools for secure transport under Customs control
- Designate priority (green) lanes for commercial vehicles to minimise border waiting times
- Avoid closing borders to the international transport of goods
- Avoid additional or unnecessary checking of commercial vehicles at borders
IRU and WCO are committed to working together, supporting their respective members in the implementation of relevant instruments, tools and programmes and coordinating their efforts.